Many clients think grain free / corn free diets are the best when it comes to choosing a pet food for their furry family members. This is a myth! Grains and corn are not just “fillers” as many advertisements would have us all believe. In fact, they are very necessary and here’s why….
Grain is Great!
- Grains supply energy to the body. Most cells use the carbohydrates in grains as their primary source of energy.
- The nervous system (brain and nerves) require carbohydrates to function optimally.
- If carbohydrates, such as those found in grains are available, then protein can be used to build and repair muscle and make glucose rather than being used as a source for energy.
- Grains contain fibre which contribute to optimal gastrointestinal health in your pet.
- Grains also contain essential fatty acids which are needed for healthy skin and silky hair coat.
Corn is Awesome!
- Corn in pet food is 85% digestible because it is already cooked.
- Corn is a highly digestible carbohydrate that is used for energy, brain and nerve functioning.
- Corn is a great source of protein needed for muscle and tissue growth/repair.
- Corn contains essential fatty acids which are great for the skin and coat.
- Corn contains beta-carotene, vitamin E and lutein (Nature’s Antioxidants)